Some people say that moving is one of the biggest events in life, similarly to marriage or the arrival of children. While this might seem like an exaggeration, moving is certainly not easy. It takes a lot of organization and precise planning to pull off an average household move, especially if you are moving to another city or state. Fortunately, movers Mountain Brook AL, stand at your disposal for all relocation-related tasks. But moving is so much more than just transporting your belongings from one place to another. Many important questions arise from one’s decision to change the address. One of those questions is the choice of the new neighborhood. How to find the best place to live? What are the safest neighborhoods in Alabama? You must know the answer to these questions long before you call your moving partners, so stay with us to find out more.
How to choose the best neighborhood for you?
The choice of your new home and your new neighborhood are some of the most important aspects of the move. The difference is that you can make changes to your home if there is something about it that you don’t like. On the other hand, once you choose your neighborhood, you are kind of stuck with it. The only way to change it is to move again. So, before you call your residential movers, you should do some research. Listed below are some of the factors that you should take into consideration when searching for a neighborhood:
- Real estate prices
- Average household incomes
- Costs of living
- Job opportunities
- Crime rates
- Safety ratings
- Quality of schools
- Green areas
- Quality of public transport
These are just the basic indicators that can show if the neighborhood is up to the standards or not. However, the choice will ultimately depend on your personal preferences and criteria.
Birmingham has some of the safest neighborhoods in Alabama
The seat of Jefferson County, the Birmingham-Hoover Metropolitan Statistical Area has a population of 1,151,801, making it the most populous urban area in Alabama. Birmingham was a major industrial center based on mining, the iron and steel industry, and rail transport. Nowadays, the city ranks as one of the largest banking centers in the U.S. It is also one of the important business centers of the Southeast. If you would like to move here on a permanent basis you should contact a reliable moving company Birmingham AL, and arrange a deal. However, let’s first take a look at some of the best neighborhoods in Birmingham:
- Mountain Brook. With a population of just over 20,000, Mountain Brook is one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the state. The crime rates here rank 53% below the national average, and 64% below the state average. Mountain Brook is also home to Birmingham Zoo and Botanical Gardens which makes it ideal for families with children.
- Vestavia Hills. Another Birmingham suburb that is famous for parks and green areas. Vestavia Hills is also home to some of the best vineyards and wineries in the state. The crime rates here are 47% below the national average and 60% below the state average.
- Pleasant Groove. Located 10 miles from Birmingham, Pleasant Groove is also known as “Good Neighbor City”. This suburban neighborhood boasts many golf courses and hiking trails. It is ideal for those who live an active lifestyle. The crime rates here are 44% below the national average, and 57% below the state average.
Montgomery is also a worthy candidate
The next entry on our list is the capital city of the Heart of Dixie, Montgomery. According to the US estimated census of 2019, Montgomery counts 205,764 inhabitants, which makes it is the third most populous city in Alabama, after Birmingham and Huntsville. If you want to move to Montgomery, you should contact your long-distance movers. But let’s first take a look at the best neighborhoods in Montgomery.
- Pike Road. This quiet Montgomery suburb is one of the best places to live in Alabama. Most residents own their homes, and the median home value is 300,000. Crime rates are 55% lower than the national average in Pike Road, which makes it one of the safest neighborhoods in Alabama.
- Blue Ridge. More expensive compared to other Alabama neighborhoods, the median home price in Blue Ridge is $255,289. Blue Ridge real estate is primarily made up of medium-sized (three or four bedrooms) to large (four, five, or more bedrooms) single-family homes and mobile homes. The combination of quality public schools and low crime rates, make this neighborhood among the top 9.1% of family-friendly neighborhoods in the state of Alabama.
Safest neighborhoods in Alabama in other cities
So far, we saw some of the best neighborhoods in Birmingham and Montgomery. But Alabama is so much more than these two cities. So, let’s take a look at what some other places have to offer:
- Rainbow City. With a population of just over 9,000, Rainbow City has actually voted the No. 1 safest place to live in Alabama. The crime rates are 79% lower than the national average, and 83% lower than the state average.
- Daleville. This small town is located in the southeastern part of the state. The proximity of the U.S. army aviation base makes this place one of the safest in Alabama. The crime rates here are 51% lower than the national average, and 63% lower than the state average.
- Glencoe. This is a small community of around 5,000 inhabitants. What makes Glencoe special is its proximity to the Appalachian Mountains and Coosa River. This makes it a perfect place for those who love outdoor activities. Glencoe crime rates are 28% below the national average, and 44% lower than the state average.
These were some of the safest neighborhoods in Alabama. This article should give you a basic insight into the topic, but it is advisable to expand your research further. Don’t forget that this is one of the most important decisions for you and your family.